Meet Billy, the Border Collie mix! At one year old and 60 pounds, the first thing you’ll notice about him is that he really wants to be your friend. He genuinely looks at you to figure out how to befriend you and will follow you everywhere to understand you and the world around him. He wants someone he can depend on and bond with.
Billy is looking for an experienced dog owner (working or herding breed experience especially). He needs patience and the right guidance to direct him, simply because he doesn’t seem to have had much guidance in the past. With the right care, he will grow into a perfect family member without a doubt. He is a quick learner, is food-motivated, is great on leash and does not have any bad habits on the street, and is very good at home. He is receptive to training and can understand boundaries. He is house trained but is still learning to ask to go potty. He knows “sit” and is a quick learner (currently working on how to play fetch). He is high energy, so a home with a yard will be a great setting for him so that he can have easier access to let out his energy. And someone who is either a runner, jogger and all-around adventurer. He would make an AMAZING hiking buddy and would love to have another doggie friend to bond with and look up to in order to learn the ropes.
Billy ADORES other dogs! He is wonderful with other dogs (both small and large) and just wants to play, play and play! Typical of his breed he will probably not do well with cats.
In conclusion, his ideal home would be the following:
- Someone who understands high-energy, working breeds like a Border Collie type
- Someone who leads an active lifestyle and wants to take Billy on regular outdoor adventures like running, hiking, backpacking and trips to Fort Funston and beyond!
- Billy would blossom in a home with another resident dog who also has a similar play personality. He may be too much energy for a senior dog, but any dog that loves play behavior would probably be a great match for Billy.
- Ideally a home with a yard for easier access for his go, go, go mind. Billy loves to stay busy both mentally and physically. So if you don’t have a yard, Billy would only thrive in a home that promises to keep him out and about and keep him both mentally and physically stimulated.
- Billy is definitely not a couch potato, but after a long and adventurous day out and about, he will gladly hang out with you and chill.
Is Billy the right match for you? Fill out an application here and a volunteer will contact you. (EL/BS)