Rocket Dog Rescue is looking for responsible and caring people to give our dogs their much needed second chance at happiness and stability. The following are just a few initial guidelines you should consider before deciding to adopt:
- Must be at least 21 years old (We look for stable renter’s history.)
- Home visit may be required, in person or virtually.
- Adoption fee is $325 for adult dogs, and $400 for puppies under 6 months old. Your adoption donation covers the animal’s spay or neuter, vaccines, microchipping, and flea treatment and deworming as needed.
- Must be allowed to have dogs where you live, and be able to provide proof (copy of lease, HOA rules, etc.)
- Must live in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Please note, we do not adopt animals outside the state of California.
An Important Note on “Breed” Restrictions
Some landlords, HOAs, and insurance providers restrict certain “breeds” or sizes of dog.
The vast majority of Rocket Dogs are of mixed and undermined breed(s), and our limited resources mean we simply have to make our best guess based on appearances. This approach, while common, is less than scientific and not very accurate. Our friends over at the Animal Farm Foundation have some great information on the science of how dogs are individuals, rather than a collection of “breed traits.” They’re a particularly helpful resource for dispelling misinformation about “pit bull-type dogs,” which is a general term used to describe many different breeds of dog with visually similar features.
However, some landlords, HOAs, and home insurance providers will not allow or cover dogs of certain “breeds” or sizes based on the dog’s appearance. We always recommend renters review their lease terms for restrictions, and home owners review their HOA agreements and/or home owner’s insurance policies before adopting any dog. Animal Farm Foundation also has helpful resources for renters and landlords here.